styles for lines in a list

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Jul 29 21:44:04 EDT 2016

With no expectation but just in the off chance the dictionary entry for graphic effects was incomplete or out of date with respect to what objects can receive graphic effects:

I tried

on mouseup
  set the dropshadow["color"] of word 1 of line 1 of fld "testGraphicEffects to "255,0,0"
end mouseup

of course it failed…a word or a line of a field is not an "object" subject to graphicEffects…  silent error, no syntax wrong flag in the script editor either.

Are the foreground and background colors (hilite for list behavior fields) the only "decorations" we have available for text in fields? beyond the textstyles.

Use case:  if you use buttons for a navigation list, you have all sorts of graphic effects options for those on rollover, mousedown etc… but if you are calling for example a JSON file from the server that you want to turn into a clickable tree/outline/navigation index , you won't have those "lovely" options.

Just curious if anyone has found ways to do more decorations with text in fields/lists?

I found possibly a bug while checking to see if the threeDBox style could be of service:

on mouseUp

set the bottomColor of fld "test3d" to "255,0,0"

#result: red border top and left of field

set the textStyle of line 1 of fld "test3d" to threeDbox

# result: line one has red border right and bottom

end mouseUp

But the dictionary indicates the bottomColor should be applied to the box round the line on the top/left borders, just like the field itself…Can anyone confirm?  Why BottomColor is applied to top/left is unintuitive… that seems backward… in this case it would seem like we have both a dictionary issue and engine issue: if Bottomcolor is applied to bottom and right border of a text chunk.. that makes sense and the dictionary should say so, and then setting the bottom color of a field should also set the bottom andright borders as well.  Am I missing something?
BR