A DataGrid is not a spreadsheet

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Jul 29 16:55:22 EDT 2016

Do you mean that a standalone can allow text to be entered in cells like in a spreadsheet without further coding? Obviously one would need scripting to add spreadsheet-like functions such as arithmetic operations; and to extend the functionality to manipulation of formulae would be a major task. But just being able to “click in an empty cell and enter data” would be a good start.

I have always tried not to use Datagrids as the seem to me so extraordinarily complicated. But if one were to write a “simplified spreadsheet” widget, would a Datagrid be the place to start? In a way I suppose the web of functionality in a Datagrid makes it a kind of proto-widget.

Curious

Graham