[ ANN ] Release 8.1.0 DP-3

panagiotis merakos panos.merakos at livecode.com
Fri Jul 29 12:14:53 EDT 2016

Dear list members,
We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.0-dp-3, a
development preview of LiveCode 8.1.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your
stacks before testing them.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/#8_1_0
or via the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
Full release notes:
https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_0_dp_3.pdf

tsNet external
--------------
LiveCode Indy and Business Editions now include the Tech Strategies tsNet
external!
* Faster than libURL (like, way faster... WAY FASTER)
* Multiple simultaneous asynchronous requests to the same server
* SFTP, SMTP, and SMTPS support (synchronous in Indy, async in Business)
* SFTP key-based authentication (Business-only)
* Seamless integration

files() and folders() functions take an argument
Avoid setting "the defaultFolder" by using "files(<folder>)".

LiveCode "Infinite" improvements to LCB
---------------------------------------
* The deprecated "undefined" keyword has been "nothing"-ed.

Graph widget upgrades
---------------------
* Show points as well (or instead of) lines
* Choose a variety of exciting point markers (circles, squares, etc.)

More!
-----
* Support for field paragraphs with > 32767 characters
* New "tokenOffset()" function finds the offset of tokens
* 26 LiveCode 8.1-specific bugs fixed

Known issues
============
* HTML5 standalones don't obey standalone builder settings (bug 18103)
* HTML5 standalones do not currently work when they contain extensions with
dependencies
* 64-bit standalones for Mac OS X do not have support for audio recording
or the revVideoGrabber external
* The default video is in .mov format which is not supported by the new
Windows player (bug 17696)

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered either to our support team <
support at livecode.com> or on our Bugzilla at http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team