Licensing AGAIN [was: Sharing FontLab Plugin]

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Jul 22 13:56:18 EDT 2016

@ kevin

Thanks for your careful attention to this. I am clearly out of my depth on licensing issues and have a naively, simplistic look at things.

I do want to go on record that I am and always will be "on your side"…. if I were the CFO of Livecode and looked at a graph

A) community downloads next to
B) the annual revenue stream for licensed editions

and if B <= (total operations budget, + reasonable compensation packages and party money for the team + funds for on-going development/innovation.)

Then obviously, we have a problem.

Good luck with finding a solution where we can freely advocate for LiveCode adoption, in an ocean where commercial and free code swim together virtual indistinguishable for 75% of the developers (students, teachers hobbyists, team leaders), like me who have no clue about licenses and just "go to work to get things done."

What the solution is, I don’t know… but the current EULA clearly works against your stated goal (I recall that video interview) "make LiveCode one of the ten most popular languages in the world"

BR

 Kevin wrote:

     It was one of our longer
    meetings, in which we reviewed the specific examples Kay,
    Bramanathaswami, and others have presented.