[ANN] Updates to LiveCode's platform support policy

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Thu Jul 21 14:03:56 EDT 2016

On 21/07/2016 15:08, Colin Holgate wrote:

> 2. It could be worth changing the title to OS X / macOS, and
> including version 10.12 in the list. I know that it’s not released,
> but it is in public beta, and I’m pretty sure you intend to support
> it. LiveCode seems to be running well in 10.12.
>
> As far as I can tell LiveCode apps run under iOS 10 ok too, which
> again is not released, but would there be any harm in stating now
> that you intend to support it?

Thank you for bringing it up, since clearly some clarification is needed!

We do not currently intend to officially support beta releases of Mac OS
or Mac OS X or iOS.  When I say this, I mean that we would like to know
if there are any problems, and we will certainly investigate
problems promptly; however, beta and/or preview releases are not
included in the list of tests that must pass in order to release
LiveCode, and we can't commit to providing technical support if you run
into problems.

LiveCode might well run fine on these preview releases!  However, until
Apple releases a version of Mac OS 10.12 to general availability, using
LiveCode on it will not be officially supported.  Realistically, we need
time to get our systems and staff up to speed!

I can happily state that we intend to extend official support to any new
stable releases of OS X / Mac OS / iOS that Apple come out with.  So,
since 10.12 stable isn't out yet, it's not yet supported.  I will
clarify the text in the blog post.

Note that Ubuntu Linux 16.10 alpha, and Fedora Linux "Rawhide", and
Debian Unstable, and Android N previews and Windows <next version here>
are all _also_ not officially supported.  But LiveCode, and apps made
with it, may very well work perfectly on any or all of them!

I hope that clarifies the situation.  Please let me know if you have any
further questions or concerns.

                                             Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>