Licensing AGAIN [was: Sharing FontLab Plugin]

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 09:51:53 EDT 2016

> If student A wants to assign or sell student B all copyright rights for
> his work
> for let’s say $1.00 (which is consideration in the legal sense of then
> word.)
> then student B legally owns all copyright rights to that work.  It is
> treated
> as though it

Work for hire is a separate (although related) issue. I completely agree
that LiveCode cannot (with copyright law at least) prevent developers
doing work for hire using a community license only. Of course morally if
someone is making a living doing LiveCode contract development, then
they ought to have their own license but if they don't need to publish
their work themselves, the GPL doesn't place any restrictions on them.

The only reason copyright assignment is required in the collaborative
no-fee changing hands case with one license holder is because the GPL is
incompatible with the App Store EULA and so whoever has the LiveCode
license needs to own the copyright to the rest of the code to be able to
distribute on the App Store GPL-free.

--
  Mark Wilcox
  mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk