Licensing AGAIN [was: Sharing FontLab Plugin]

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Wed Jul 20 17:54:03 EDT 2016

On 20/07/2016 20:53, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> Kay C Lan wrote:
>
> " Fortunately one of the parents is extremely supportive and is happy
> to pony up for an LC Indy License. Is it kosher that this app, built
> by multiple people using Community, is now licensed by a single Indy
> holder? Can further game refinement be done by the gang using
> Community?"
>
> I have this same question..
>
> @ Peter
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user/223575
>
> doesn't really answer the above.

Well, I hope the following is sufficiently unambiguous.

> i) a product that is pushed to the Apple app store under Indy via 1
> user on the team

This is exactly what LiveCode Indy is intended for.

> ii) that includes code created by the team, many of whom are fall in
> the categories of
>
> volunteers |non-profit staffers | students et all such other
> "community" users
>
> put another way… to say the obvious… the use case is "all GPL top to
> bottom," with only Apple's rules forcing a closed source build for a
> single distribution channel context.

- If the app is open source, this definitely violates either the Apple
store agreement or the LiveCode Community copyright license (GPLv3).

- If the app is closed-source, this definitely violates the LiveCode
Indy end user license agreement and probably also the LiveCode Community
copyright license.

If you are doing this, stop doing so immediately and get a Business
license seat for each person involved in developing your app.

Apple's walled garden is not a fertile pasture for growing Free
Software.  If you want to make Free Software apps for mobile devices,
target Android.

                                         Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>