[ANN] Sharing FontLab Plugin

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 19 17:06:00 EDT 2016

Kay C Lan wrote:

 > I've come late to this discussion but this would seem to be an
 > excellent topic for a blog post and even the basis for an official
 > 'Guide' that can be accessed via the Guide tab of the LC8 Dictionary.
 > And as you both (Peter and Richard) represent either side of the fence
 > (The Company and The Community) who I understand are in weekly
 > conference call communication, who better to draft up such a document.

I like the idea, but not sure when I'll have time.  For now this very
brief summary may help (note that I am not an attorney so nothing I
write can be construed as legal advice):

GPL - For when you want to encourage source sharing. required for
       anything made with LiveCode Community.

MIT - For when you want to encourage source sharing but not require
       it, so a work can also be used in open source projects, including
       those governed under the GPL, and also as part of a proprietary
       software.

Custom proprietary license - For proprietary works, but since no
       standard exists for that you'll need to consult your counsel
       t0 draft one that meets your business needs.

Those three options will probably cover most use cases in our community.

Others may be useful for more specialized needs (e.g., AGPL for server
software where you want to require source sharing under more
circumstances than GPL requires), but such cases are infrequent in our
community.  Those needing another license other than the ones above will
know why they need it and therefore be able to find it easily.

The main thing with any license is that its applicability for any given
project requires careful review of the license with consideration for
the goals of the work to be distributed under it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems