LC & robotics anyone ?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jul 13 16:12:59 EDT 2016

As Roger and Richard have mentioned, there are two directions to go.

1.
You can provide communications handlers that talk to a robot to give it commands.  These might use serial or sockets for communicating to the robot.

There are lots of Arduino-based robots.  USB "serial" comm is an essential part of Arduino.  You can start out with a tethered turtle with a script that groks turtle-like commands.  You can handlers handlers that send these with the LiveCode serial capability.  Your nephew can write code that calls those.

You can also get WiFi Arduino boards and WiFi shields.  You can use LiveCode sockets to communicate with those.  It is actually easier to use sockets than to use serial once you figure out the IP address.

Or you can get a robot with WiFi and not worry about whether it is Arduino.  Or consider BlueTooth (serial).

(You don't have to go Arduino, there are lots of other ways to go.)

Look at AdaFruit, SparkFun, Pololu, and Servo City.  A friend of mine has mentioned Seeed a few times.  I have also gotten stuff from the Robot Shop.

2.
You can build the robot with a small board or box that can run LiveCode.  However, then you have to figure out how to do the I/O which might bring you back to #1 above.

Dar
darzLab
Dar Scott Consulting