LC & robotics anyone ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 13 15:23:26 EDT 2016

jbv wrote:

 > Hi list
 > Has anyone made experiments with LC as front end for programming /
 > driving any robotic system ?

The most popular platform for robotics today is Raspberry Pi.  Small,
lightweight, low-power, and cheap, they provide plenty of room for all
the smarts you can program on top of the wonderfully rich and stable
Debian base.

The good news is we have a version of LiveCode available which works
very well on the Pi when run from the command line, which for robotics
and other forms of IoT is all you need.  We have GPIO support via the
handlers in Master Library (thank you Michael Doub), and I can confirm
that sockets work very well in LC on Linux/ARM.

The bad news is that until we can find members of the community with the
intersection of time, skills, and interest to run a make file and fix at
least one crasher (#17985), the GUI version of LiveCode for Raspberry Pi
is effectively DOA.

The Pi build was a personal gift from Fraser to the community, in hopes
of helping the community hit the ground running with a build in which
most of the work needed to compile for Linux/ARM had already been done.

Unfortunately, my efforts to try to find folks who might be in a
position to help build on Fraser's work have come up empty.

So at the moment, if you have an interest in anything that requires a
GUI on Raspberry Pi, learning Python with Qt is one of the better
options available today.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a community team for moving LiveCode
forward on Pi soon.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager