Application Transport Security deadline for iOS apps

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Mon Jul 11 17:37:30 EDT 2016

Jacqueline Landman Gay Wrote:
> I wonder what happens if your app allows general browsing with, say, a
browser widget?
Good Question...

All of my app's web services use https so this is good. But my app has a
database of 3rd party URLs(3,000+) to various websites via the browser
control. Some sites are https some are not. This DB has been
compiled/updated for the last year. You can add specific exceptions to the
plist (I would have a VERY large plist) or set NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to
true. Setting NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to true will allow all of these URLs to
work, but Apple was very clear in that they intend to reject apps who use
this flag without a specific reason. One reason to use
NSAllowsArbitraryLoads I can think of would be allow access to non secure
3rd party web sites. And in this case, Apple still expects you to include
exceptions that enforce the ATS for these URLs. This would of course make my
plist HUGE. I have a business model that could crumble under this rule.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net