Application Transport Security deadline for iOS apps

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Jul 11 10:57:46 EDT 2016

On 2016-07-11 16:43, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> HTTPS serves two purposes: one is encryption of data in transport,
> which may or may not be truly necessary.  When when a server only
> hosts publicly-available information it may indeed seem overkill.

I'd perhaps suggest that encryption of all internet traffic is actually
quite important as a default to ensure people are guaranteed privacy
unless they choose not to want it.

Unencrypted traffic leaks information about the receiver - even for
'read-only' stores, patterns of access and what is accessed is
information about which much can be potentially inferred for any
interested in snooping.

I guess the issue here is that people generally (rightly or wrongly!)
assume things they do are private unless they have explicitly chosen to
make them otherwise; using the internet unencrypted is a complete
reversal of this situation.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps