Application Transport Security deadline for iOS apps

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Jul 11 10:13:23 EDT 2016

On 7/11/2016 9:42 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> If taken to court, I expect Apple would show evidence of the above and
> argue that they are taking much-needed steps to ensure users' security
> and safety, by making sure that the data the user receives is the same
> as the data that was sent, and that sensitive data cannot be sent over
> easily-intercepted links.

If taken to court, I'd expect Apple to just out spend anyone else.
Sadly, in the US, money can buy you the verdict you want!

And yes, you are completely right. My "1st amendment" comment has no
grounds and was just venting frustration at Apple taking away consumer
choice - although I suppose the consumer still has a choice to switch to
Android (until Google does the same dumb thing).

I know a lot of people who have tiny webs sites - for home businesses,
for hobby interests, for their own blogs among friends, and on and on.
There folks are never going to update these web sites to HTTPS. In most
cases, some one else set up the web sites for them and is no longer
available and they know nothing about managing them. Unfortunately, they
will simply notice that fewer people visit their sites OR perhaps
discover they can no longer see their site from their own iPhone and
have no idea why - even after reading any error messages - and just
shrug it off as "tech stuff not working again".

Not giving users a choice between HTTP and HTTPS will reduce user access
to content regardless of what possible benefits the security may bring.