Parsing a PDF file

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Jul 9 12:40:17 EDT 2016

On 07/09/2016 08:54 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Across the US we're beginning to see a revolution in government data
> sharing.

<cough>
Except, of course, when it comes to actual data.

Many of the laws we as citizens of the US are required to follow are not
available for us to read without paying a fee. Cal Malamud, Public
Resource, et al, are working to place the legal system in the public
domain, but the legal establishment fights back. If you want access to
the proceedings of U.S. federal courts, PACER is behind a paywall.
<https://public.resource.org/>

The state of Georgia (in the US, not the more reasonable country) makes
the claim of copyright in its lawsuit against publishing its laws: "Each
of these annotations is an original and creative work of authorship that
is protected by copyrights owned by the State of Georgia."

<https://boingboing.net/2015/07/24/georgia-suing-carl-malamud-ca.html>
<https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160702/07240834879/standards-body-whines-that-people-who-want-free-access-to-law-probably-also-want-free-sex.shtml>
</cough>

--