A bit RTF-ed off.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 8 16:42:32 EDT 2016

On 7/8/2016 10:31 AM, Richmond wrote:
> So, I imported an RTF file into a list field and tired to look at char 3,
> but I have a feeling that the RTF was piling in as double-byte stuff
> as it didn't work at all.
>
> When I copy-pasted the stuff out of the original RTF file intil a text file
> and imported that (as Text rather than RTFtext) everything worked.
> Would be grateful if someone "in the know" could either confirm
> or put me right on this one.

What version of LC are you using for this? If it's before version 7 then
you probably need to play with uniEncode/decode from or to UTF16/UTF8.
(I don't remember the order of the transformations, you'd know better
than I. My brain erased everything I used to know about it as soon as
the ease of LC 7 appeared.)

If it's LC 7 or higher then all text files are automatically converted
to UTF16 when you import them, but an RTF file probably needs to go
through textEncode before putting it into the field. It helps to know
what unicode the original is saved as, but when in doubt, it's usually UTF8.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com