Parsing a PDF file

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 8 12:52:55 EDT 2016

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > In truth a NEW portable document format needs to be invented that
 > connects and preserves content to its appearance, but I suspect that
 > people who want to keep both intact and portable are just using HTML5
 > and CSS3.

CSS is a wonderful solution.

Being prone to idealism, I like to believe (admittedly in the absence of
all current evidence) that we're only a few years away from the nearly
complete abandonment of PDF as a popular format for everything except
perhaps the subset of documents that truly must remain in form that
emulates yesteryear's printed page, an ever-shrinking use-case.

For everything else, content in HTML with formatting in CSS is a
wonderful option.

Better still might be for the world to adopt LiveCode stacks as a
universal document format.  For more programmer-accessible and
feature-rich than PDF, and fully open source.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems