AW: Intel QSV H.264 codec for AVFoundation and DirectShow

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jul 7 04:24:00 EDT 2016

On 2016-07-07 09:16, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> FYI
> I asked Sorenson Media, whos video compressor I am using, if I have to
> pay
> license fees for the H.264 codec for encoding videos with Sorenson
> squeeze
> for a commercial product. They answered to me:
>
> " No, you do not need to pay any license fees to use any codecs
> included in
> Squeeze. Sorenson Media pays any license fees necessary for all the
> codecs
> contained in Squeeze. Once you have encoded your video with a licensed
> product, like Squeeze, you will never need to pay any licensing fees
> again."

This is what I would expect.

If you produce and distribute a program which includes an H.264
compressor or decompressor then you need to pay patent license fees (in
actual fact, I suspect even if you don't distribute said program, and
use it to generate compressed video, you still need to pay patent
license fees).

So, if you use a third-party product you have bought (like Squeeze), and
OS included codecs to playback the video (like AVFoundation and
DirectShow used in LiveCode) then that has already been taken care of
for you.

In regards to the 'stepping' - it might worth asking Sorenson (who sound
very helpful!) about that. In particular with regards DirectShow. Having
a key frame every frame I'd have thought would vastly reduce the effacy
of compression - so I wonder if there's some other tricks to encoding
which would let it work in DirectShow, the way you want.

Alternatively, if you can find an open source program which *does* allow
stepping through H.264 videos via DirectShow on Windows then let us know
and we can see if it is possible to make DirectShow do that without
special encoding options. (After all, if AVFoundation lets you do it for
an arbitrary H.264 encoded video, then you'd think it would be possible
for DirectShow to; on the other hand, AVFoundation I think is newer and
perhaps 'better' than DirectShow due to that, so it is very hard to
say!).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps