[HC] USB Devices

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jul 6 21:47:45 EDT 2016

On 07/06/2016 02:08 PM, Richmond wrote:

> What I would really like to know is what differentiates a keyboard (and
> my Nostromo n52) from all those other USB devices

Well, unfortunately there's no such thing as "all those other USB
devices". It's a wild untamed world of devices out there, and there are
loose standards to act as guidelines, but there's a lot of leeway for
the writers of usb drivers to improvise. Modern operating systems have
generic usb driver support that will handle a wide variety of different
types of devices (you probably don't need drivers to plug in thumb
drives or CD/DVD devices or keyboards/mice) but there are still usb
devices that need special handling.

Your n52 seems to have firmware that allows it to be supported natively
in more modern OS versions, but your n50 apparently doesn't, and so
needs drivers installed.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com