Intel QSV H.264 codec for AVFoundation and DirectShow

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Mon Jul 4 14:13:42 EDT 2016

On 07/04/2016 04:43 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> The x264 codec is a opensource codec and as far as I understand it is not
> preinstalled on any system and at least on my Mac a x264 video can't be
> played (perhaps there is a chance to manually install it, what I would like
> to avoid for my customers)

Tiemo,

x264 is only an encoder and does not need to be installed on a client
machine to enable playback if that's your concern. Whether or not the
videos are compatible will depend on thoughtful selection of encoding
options. In this regard x264 offers almost unlimited opportunity to
experiment (glass half full) and choose badly (glass half empty).
<http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html> The Intel encoder has the
advantage of using the gpu, where applicable, to accelerate encoding. If
you've found something that works, it wouldn't be a bad decision to have
a celebratory beverage of your choice and think about something else!

Warren