Intel QSV H.264 codec for AVFoundation and DirectShow

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Jul 4 05:43:15 EDT 2016

Hello,

I made some tests with LC 8.1.0 dp1 to find a video codec solution, as a
replacement for QuickTime which fits for both platforms windows and OS X.

I am looking for the most standardized state of the art codec to get a
maximum of compatibility on both platforms, so I think H.264 is the right
choice.

My special requirement is, that I have to step thru the video frame by frame
controlled by LC.

My sorenson squeeze compressor offers 4 different H.264 codecs: "Intel QSV
H.264", "MainConcept H.264", "Sorenson MPEG-4", "x264"

My LC tests showed me, that I need to set a keyframe every single frame to
be able to step thru the video framebased (at least with DirectShow). This
option do only the intel QSV and the x264 codec offer.

The x264 codec is a opensource codec and as far as I understand it is not
preinstalled on any system and at least on my Mac a x264 video can't be
played (perhaps there is a chance to manually install it, what I would like
to avoid for my customers)

So up to now it seems to me that only the intel QSV H.264 is left of my
choices. It should be supported from Windows Vista on and from OS X 10.8 on.

Has anybody experiences in this field of codecs, other experiences or tipps
or would negate some of my conclusions?

Thanks

Tiemo