Applying scripts that don't compile

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Fri Jul 1 21:33:06 EDT 2016

Hi Folks

I’ve just submitted a patch for review that will mean that if the global gREVDevelopment is true then a script that doesn’t compile won’t actually be set on the object. Previously this check was just for the script editor but because suddenly removing the script of any IDE component can cause the IDE to become unstable thus making it hard to fix the compile error you just tried to apply this change makes it much easier to work on the IDE.

I’m thinking this would be a nice script editor preference to add to the IDE because the IDE is not the only thing that can become unstable! However, it is a huge issue in the IDE while probably only a minor annoyance for general scripting. What do people think? If we did this we would need to add warnings on closing the script editor to ensure the user knows that the script has not actually been set on the object yet. Do people think this would be generally helpful as a preference?

https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/pull/1269

Cheers

Monte