Problem with custom functions

Quentin Long cubist at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 11:03:02 EDT 2016

I'm not sure if I've exposed a horrible bug, or I've managed to completely forget something utterly bleeding obvious, or what. But whatever the deal is, I am having inordinate difficulty trying to use custom functions.

Recipe for the problem:

0--Open LiveCode (Community Edition 8.0.0, build 13018) on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid-2012) running OS X 10.11.5, with a 500 GB hard drive (300 GB free space) and 16GB of RAM

1--Create a new stack

2--Put this into the script of the new stack:

function CubeIt DerNum
   return (DerNum ^ 3)
end CubeIt

3--Type "put CubeIt (3)" into the message box

Expected result: "27" should show up in the message box.
Actual result: Nothing shows up in the message box.

4--Type "put CubeIt 3" into the message box
Result:
"Script compile error:
"Error description: Handler: bad command"

What the heck is going on here?

"Bewitched" + "Charlie's Angels" - Charlie = "At Arm's Length"

Read the webcomic at [ http://www.atarmslength.net ]!

If you like "At Arm's Length", support it at [ http://www.patreon.com/DarkwingDude ].