Global Warming Reader App, Recruiting Collaborators

James Little littlejamesw at mac.com
Fri Jan 29 16:52:56 EST 2016

Hi Livecoders,

The U.N. COP21 Conference in Paris this past December secured a remarkable international agreement of over 190 nations to cut carbon emissions and to limit global warming to less than 2 deg C.  But now the hard part begins, to ensure that individuals, corporations and nations limit carbon emissions and transition to clean energy.  This requires mass education, dialogue and political action.  It requires correcting misinformation.  My hope is that Livecode programmers can play a role is assisting with this challenging global transition.
I’ve posted a project on MIT Climate CoLab to develop a Global Warming Reader App using Livecode.  I invite all to register and add comments.  We have 30 days to finalize this project.

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1303501/phaseId/1313706/planId/1327125

I’ve posted a beta Global Warming Reader App at  GlobalWarmingApps.org/downloads.html  with downloads for Mac & Windows desktop.  The Mac download mostly works by my testing, though there are still some bugs.  I’ve not been able to test the Windows version, as yet.  Please let me know of any bugs you find.

My son Todd says the user interface is old school.  I’m beginning to use the push button and tree view widgets to try to modernize the UI.

If you would like to improve on this app, please email me (JWL at GlobalWarmingApps.org) and I will send you a link to download the livecode file.  It is being developed using 8.0 DP12.

The basic idea of the MIT Climate CoLab project is to develop the best possible Global Warming Reader App over the next 6 months.  Please consider improving on the app that I’ve started or starting anew and developing an app from scratch.

Regards,

Jim L