match a parenthesis literal in a lived regex?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:18:19 EST 2016

You're missing something :-) If you are using the matchText function you
must remember you still need your capturing parenthesis

\( will find a single opening parenthesis
[(] will find a single opening parenthesis
[\(] will find a single opening parenthesis or back slash

in the msg box - change the commented line to test each:

   put "here is some (text in brackets) and some not." into tStore
   if (matchText(tStore,"(\()",tFound) = true) then
   --if (matchText(tStore,"([(])",tFound) = true) then
   --if (matchText(tStore,"([\(])",tFound) = true) then
      put tFound into msg
      --in all cases '(text' should end up in the msg box
   else
      put "Not Found" into msg
   end if

LC uses PCRE regex which can be tested here:

https://regex101.com/#pcre

Make sure PCRE is checked in the left hand column. If it works here it will
work in LC - but you still must remember to add the quotes and if you are
looking for more than a simple true or false, then you'll need to add the
capturing parenthesis - but this too can be tested at the above site, the
matches will appear in the second window down in the right hand column.