One Rect For All specificaiton

Colin Holgate colinholgate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:15:38 EST 2016

Being letterboxed isn’t a quality issue, it isn’t even bad. It’s just that Apple would reject the app. In the Android world it’s more normal to develop for an 800x480 ratio, and people on wider or taller devices understand why there is letter boxing. It’s an Apple problem not an Android one.

Almost all apps I make are iOS and Android.

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com> wrote:
>
> Please stop downplaying what quality level is considered acceptable on
> Android.  You're making false stereotypical assertions when in reality
> there are app designers so focused on providing a great experience.  You
> may not see them all, because some don't publish to Apple (by choice).
> On Jan 25, 2016 5:10 AM, "Colin Holgate" <colinholgate at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The 4:3 to 16:9 is a range, it’s not that it only takes care of those two
>> cases. If you use a 4:3 card and have 16:9 content, on a 16:10 device,
>> you’ll see most of the 16:9 content.
>>
>> There are cases where a device might exceed 16:9. For example, a 16:9
>> device that is showing some sort of temporary bar along the top. In such a
>> case you might end up with a small amount of border on the far left and
>> right of your content. Not something I would worry about too much!
>>
>> About letter boxing as a solution, that’s probably ok in the Android
>> world, but if for example you solve your iOS needs by letting a 4:3 card
>> have borders on a 16:9 device, Apple would reject the app.
>>

>>> On Jan 24, 2016, at 11:40 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I wonder how that will translate to Android. I found these aspect ratios
>> <http://hwstats.unity3d.com/mobile/display.html>, listed from most common
>> to least:
>>>
>>> 16:9
>>> 5:3