"fork" command?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 7 20:42:52 EST 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> My understanding is that spawn-fcgi uses fork, no?
 >
 > Yes. Are you looking to implement your own process manager though?

What constitutes "process manager" in this context?

 >> Once we have forking we could completely replace Apache (or NGineX
 >> or Node.js) with a fully-functioning server for specific
 >> applications where the efficiencies of a purpose-built system would
 >> be helpful.
 >
 > Ah, ok so you wan’t MCHTTPd with child processes and maybe FastCGI
 > but maybe just some custom protocol between them?

Ideally, both: FastCGI for use under Apache for building Web sites, and
a forkable variant of MCHTTPd for building custom application servers.

 >> But even when running under Apache with FastCGI, fork would seem
 >> a very useful thing.  It's how PHP and other engines are able to
 >> scale, and indeed not having it prevents LC from being used in
 >> traffic-heavy scenarios.
 >
 > I’m not saying it’s not useful, just suggesting letting something
 > else do the forking might be a good idea.

I'm not particular how it's done; I'm just looking for options to make
scalable services with LC.  What would that "something else" be?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems