Dictionary alternatives

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 2 19:34:18 EST 2016

I appreciate all the good ideas about rolling my own interim fix for
this, but perhaps I should clarify my interest:

Part of my soon-to-be-release devolution 4.0 toolkit includes the
ability to switch between standard IDE components and community-based
alternatives.  For example, it has a "Browser" button that lets you
choose between the Project Browser, App Browser, or Navigator.

The one common IDE component I can't find an alternative for is the
Dictionary.  Many years ago there was the MC Dict, but I stopped
maintaining that once I migrated my work to LiveCode v4.6.4.

BVG Docu was a very nice alternative, but I'm unsure whether it's still
being maintained for v8 forward.  With the changes to the structure of
the Dictionary content in v8 I would imagine some non-trivial work would
be required to rewrite that to import into Docu.

So yes, lots of good options for rolling my own.  LC is very flexible
and a joy to work with, and as well suited for making Dictionary viewers
as anything else.

But my goal here is simpler: I'm just looking for currently-maintained
Dictionary solutions in our community to make sure they're represented
as alternatives in devolution once it's released.  It would be nice to
offer at least one if we have a current one in our community, or more if
there are other such projects I'm unfamiliar with.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems