Open source, closed source, and the value of code

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Mon Feb 29 21:39:19 EST 2016

> On 1 Mar 2016, at 12:32 PM, Roger Guay <irog at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Once more, I point out that this might be a good new revenue stream for LC!!! Does it hurt anyone?

I guess it could hurt everyone that depends on the platform if it undercut the Indy license too much. One thing we know for sure is that with the Indy price rise being staged effectively over a couple of years since the first rise that the company is being more than fair with its current user base by giving them the opportunity to lock in current prices for the long term.

Whether as the price of Indy rises a space is created for some kind of Indy Lite remains to be seen. However, I might suggest it would be difficult to find the right mix of features for it… Should it have no code protection but still allow proprietary licenses? Perhaps it should be royalty based or only allow free apps? Maybe it should have splash screens on standalones? Maybe individual platform licenses? What about a set fee per platform per standalone build? Maybe everything that can be easily removed from LC could be an addon at extra cost (database, xml, widgets etc)?

So many options that even if the company had something in this space it still won’t meet everyones needs.

Cheers

Monte