The Future of LiveCode in Education

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 29 16:21:26 EST 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:

 > My son regularly immerses in Scratch. There’s a couple of things
 > that make it a good learning environment beyond the drag and drop
 > code blocks:
 >  - web based so no download and install for schools without the
 >    resources to do that easily
 >  - a tightly integrated project sharing and social network of users
 >
 > Now that we have HTML 5 it may be possible to cover these points and
 > we are at least part way there on the sharing front. It would be nice
 > to be able to sandbox code to a particular group if we wanted a
 > single stack IDE that might work on tablets and in the browser. Some
 > kind of canModify for a group in a cantModify stack might be nice too…

With LC's securityPermissions it's possible to deliver an app that's
more secure than any browser.

Leaving only "network" enabled in securityPermissions, a standalone can
download stacks, save data and code in the cloud, and never touch the
local drive.

Of course it still means download an app, but that's a one-time task and
doesn't take but a minute.

And with html later on it only gets easier.

 > Anyway, the other point I wanted to make is I think we could do well
 > to actively target a Scratch -> LiveCode transition. One way would be
 > to import a user’s projects into LiveCode from Scratch via the
 > Scratch API and some well commented code generation: >
http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_API_(2.0)

That would be cool.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a Scratch-like system that reads
Scratch files directly in LC....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems