The Future of LiveCode in Education

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 29 14:57:13 EST 2016

On 2/29/2016 1:25 PM, William Prothero wrote:
> By the way, I too have pondered the popularity that Hypercard was
> able to achieve and compared it to Livecode. Certainly, a subset of
> livecode and hypercard are pretty identical. So, why isn’t it easier
> to get excited about it?

HyperCard took off because it shipped free on every Mac. That's
certainly the reason I started with it, because I never in a million
years thought I'd like programming. But it was there on our new Mac so I
started exploring. The language was easily grasped and there were dozens
of examples to look at. I got hooked immediately.

If HC hadn't been there right in front of me I never would have touched
it, no matter how many glowing reports I might have read about it
elsewhere. I was positive that programming wasn't something I was suited
for. I am also sure that's what happened with all the thousands of new
HC users who never dreamed they could produce their own software.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com