LC 8 hard question...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 29 12:45:47 EST 2016

Glen Bojsza wrote:

 > After reviewing all the previous releases of Livecode I am trying to
 > determine when LC 8 will start getting to RC and then how long from
 > there to stable.
 >
 > My question is hard since there is no true and fast answer on how the
 > development goes ...anything can cause it to derail.
 >
 > But does anybody think it is reasonable to get to a stable release by
 > July this year?

Back in September I predicted that LC 8 might reach RC1 in March.  I've
read no specific time estimates from the team, but given the good
progress on a wide range of areas I'd guess that RC1 would likely occur
no later than April, and would feel reasonably comfortable* guessing
that a July estimate for Stable would seem achievable.

* Any projection of ship dates from any one about any software is,
ultimately, a form of guesswork.  We have 50 years of ACM literature to
back that up, and insightful authors from Fred Brooks to Steven
McConnell to explain why this unpredictability persists.  Until when a
system ships can we know the ship date.  Prior to that the inevitable
unpredictable things that define our universe and the software
development tasks we do within it will come into play.  I always try to
keep this in mind with all software from all vendors.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems