Players in HTML5 - ETA for Full Functionality?

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Thu Feb 25 01:10:34 EST 2016

On 25/02/2016 05:59, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> So back to my question: is there another way to play media using
> other means beside a player?

Not that I'm aware of.

> I will test the browser widget myself (I'm assuming it will work in
> an HTML5 standalone.)

No, the browser widget is not available in HTML5 standalones (and indeed
actually *can't* be for the time being due to the way that it works).

I posted recently-ish about the problems making certain types of
LiveCode features (such as "wait" and the "URL" chunk) work in the HTML5
engine.  I'm sure you can find the e-mail in the list archives.  Those
same considerations apply to many of the other yet-to-be-implemented
features.

If you'd like to see multimedia and network connectivity in Community
HTML5 standalones, you can speed up their delivery by finding a solution
to those problems other than "redefine half the LiveCode Script
language" or "rewrite the entire LiveCode engine".

You don't need to "bang the drum" about HTML5 Player control support.
*I KNOW*.  I will implement it as soon as 1) it becomes technically
possible to do so and/or (2) a developer has time to work on it.

If you want it sooner: you can accelerate (1) by contributing the open
source project; and you can accelerate (2) by contributing to the open
source project or giving us more money (e.g. by buying an HTML5
deployment license, or by getting a Business license and purchasing
dedicated developer time).

By the way, the same considerations apply to all the other "critically
important feature requests" you so frequently put into the bug tracker,
Brahmanathaswami.

                                        Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>