Getting a return from a dispatch to a function

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Mon Feb 22 19:55:14 EST 2016

Folks:
I think I’ve found a bug when trying to call a function and get a return value out of the message path.

I make a stack with a group containing 2 buttons, and a 3rd button to call the function>

Script of calling button
on mouseUp
   breakpoint
   put value("getValue",group "myGroup" of card "myCard") into tVal
end mouseUp

Script of group named “myGroup”
function getValue
   return "This is my value"
end getValue

When I click the calling button, I get “getValue” returned. The actual return value of the function is not returned.

I’ve tested this in 7.1.2-r3 and 8.0.0 DP15.
I’m using Mac OSX, El Capitan.

Is it a bug?

Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus
prothero at earthednet.org