Programmatically determine the average greyscale

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Feb 19 14:14:20 EST 2016

HH:

We need more "LC-mania" with a web repository for working solutions. We can find any number of Javascripts all over the place... where do we go for LC solutions like this? Have to have some kind of digger for the email lists/forums.

Meanwhile I cooked up my own luminance checker/foregroundcolor setter, or rather cobbled together input from our friends of course...This is about as optimized as I think we are going to get. function is only 11 lines, calling handler only 10 lines.

Challenge: try and write this in 21 lines in any other language!

Stack script has this two functions

# thanks Scott and Jacque!
function setLabelColor pImage,pX,pY
   put the imageData of img id pImage into theImageData
   put width of  img id pImage into W
   put ((pY-1)*W)*4+pX*4 into lastChar

   -- wikipedia luminance levels: Y = 0.2126 R + 0.7152 G + 0.0722 B
   put ( charToNum(char lastChar of theImageData) ) *  0.0722 into tB
   put (charToNum(char lastChar-1 of theImageData) ) *  0.7152 into tG
   put ( charToNum(char lastChar-2 of theImageData) ) * 0.2126 into tR
   put sum(tR,tG,tB) into tColorLevel
   if tColorLevel > 170 then return "85,85,85" -- "black"
   else return "white"
end setLabelColor

#Card script has this preopencard handler
#button label is set to run in the upper left area
# of the image(s) so I target a pixel that is at 40,40
# and if it is too light, then we switch to a darker color -black
# though

on preopenCard
   updateAllButtonImages # changes all button patterns dynamically
   repeat with x = 1 to the number of btns of group "sections"
      put the id of btn x of group "sections" into tNextButton
      put the backgroundpattern of  button id tNextButton  into tPatternID
      if tPatternID <> empty then
      set the textcolor of btn id tNextButton to setLabelColor (tPatternID,40,40)
      end if
  end repeat
end preopenCard

It works. If we wanted more mania we could even start checking hues and setting the button name/label to match, bad design for this context, but something doable and possibly useful elsewhere...

BR