Sound, Linux, Embedding

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Wed Feb 17 21:22:40 EST 2016

On 02/17/2016 03:06 PM, RM wrote:
> So, after keeping quiet on this for about 5 years . . .
>
> I was digging away in some ZIP disks I have access to via a SCSI card in
> the back of my Linux
> box [neither my G3 iMac, nor my G5 iMac having SCSI ports] and I chanced
> upon some
> "LiveCode" (i.e. Runtime Revolution) stacks I made while I was working
> at the University of St. Andrews
> for foreign students to practise English vowel sounds . . . and thought
> . . .
>
> wouldn't it be "fun" (this involves a fairly broad definition of what
> constitutes fun) if it were now
> possible to port them to run on Linux, including the ability to embed
> the sounds in the stack.
>
> So?
>
> Richmond.

Richmond, you can play audioclips under Linux. I'm not sure what
dependencies you need to satisfy and you may have to experiment to find
a format/bit rate/sampling rate that plays, but it can work. For some
reason some sounds (perhaps due to short length?) don't appear to play
in the IDE but will play in a standalone. Download and experiment with
Jacquie's Blocks. The woodtap doesn't play for me in the IDE but works
in a standalone. The fanfare plays but is truncated in the IDE and works
fine in the standalone. The sound used to signal the end of a game with
blocks left plays as white noise instead of whatever it's supposed to
sound like.

Good luck!