export variables to launched process?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 4 10:46:43 EST 2016

Peter TB Brett wrote:

 > On 04/02/2016 08:36, Mark Waddingham wrote:
 >> On 2016-02-04 02:57, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>> Now I have a process I need to read and write to, but I don't know
 >>> how to export variables to it - clues?
 >>
 >> A process that gets launched either via shell or open process will
 >> inherit the environment variables set by the engine... So I think
 >> doing:
 >>
 >> put "Hello!" into $somevar
 >>
 >> put shell("./test.sh")
 >>    or
 >> open process ... for ...
 >>
 >> Should both have the effect that the launched process will see
 >> 'somevar' as specified.
 >
 > Of course, it's a good idea to be able to construct a specific
 > environment for a subprocess, so please go ahead and file a bug
 > report asking us to extend "open process" to allow passing in an
 > array of environment variables!

I like the idea, and with the rate at which the team has been knocking
off bugs AND feature requests or v8 no doubt you'll run out of things to
do soon. :)

Let me give that some thought before I add it to the queue.  At the
moment it would be merely a convenience for which the methods available
to us today isn't particularly onerous.

But I must say how delightful it's been to see my In Box overflowing
with bug report and feature request notifications marked "Resolved - Fixed"!

Impressive amount of work going into v8 - very exciting.

@Bramanathaswami:  be sure to check out some of the control appearances
on OS X and see if the improvements meet your friend's expectations. A
great many appearance-related issues have been tidied up nicely for
v8dp14 - see the note on p10 of the Release Notes, and some of the
theming-related reports in the bug DB.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems