Graphic effects - Feather Edges of Rects

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Thu Feb 4 00:50:06 EST 2016

> You can achieve a feather effect using multiple objects stacked on top of
> each other, but then you have to ask is that worth doing.  If you have to
> do anything with the set of objects, such as move it around or scale it,
> then the effect is probably too much trouble, especially on mobile.

This is how we did it—using multiple graphic objects stacked. However, I
used a gradient for each edge and used Outer Glow. I think it would be a
lot of work to script this for general work but Brahmanathaswami seems to
think it will be worthwhile to try it. I'm interested to see what he comes
up with.

You can create a feather effect by grouping the source image with a mask
> image that contains a painted rectangular inner glow effect.  If you set
> the centerRect of the mask image to appropriate dimensions (the radius of
> glow at each corner of the image), you can resize the group and keep the
> glow effect intact with no loss of quality.

I couldn't get this to look anything like feathering because it always had
a hard edge. Maybe that is because of the weakness of the inner glow?

> FYI, you can create a transparent graphic with innerGlow using an ink
> effect.  For example, set the backColor of the graphic to black, apply a
> white innerGlow (255 opacity), and set the ink of the graphic to
> blendScreen.  This will make all black in the graphic transparent while
> keeping the white intact.  But again, the innerGlow is fairly weak.

I couldn't get this to work at all. When I set the blending ink to
BlendScreen, the black graphic became completely transparent, regardless of
the inner glow settings.

FWIW, I was able to easily create a feathered image for an oval or circular
feather with one graphic object. To do it for a rectangle, took 4 graphic
objects. In each case, we used Outer Glow with a gradient—radial for the
oval, linear for the rectangle.

Regards,

Howard Bornstein