Global Warming Reader App,

James Little littlejamesw at mac.com
Tue Feb 2 11:45:33 EST 2016

Dear Livecoders,

Could someone test the Windows version of the Global Warming Reader.  Updated Windows & Mac desktop versions are at:

http://globalwarmingapps.org/downloads.html

I’ve posted the livecode source code at:  http://globalwarmingapps.org/source-code.html

Pardon a few basic questions:   Can a user open this Livecode file in a Community version, though it was developed in an Indy version?

To make this available to a Windows user, I assume that I would need to duplicate this program on a Windows machine.  Correct?

I could use some up-votes on the MIT Climate CoLab site (you must register first, which takes 30 seconds):

http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1303501/phaseId/1313706/planId/1327125

We need informed, trusted messengers, who can talk with family, friends, neighbors about the solutions to climate change and who can correct misinformation.  My hope is that Global Warming News Readers, developed at multiple sites around the world can create these trusted messengers and keep them informed.

(semi-OT below)

“Sorry … but no one’s allowed to give up - our children and grandchildren will still be fighting this battle … “ as Dave Roberts has said.

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,  Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”  Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

“So in Paris, the UN has finally delivered.  Now it’s up to the nations, companies, civil society and all our institutions - from universities, churches, hospitals, service agencies and local governments - to immediately and aggressively move this effort forward.  If we sit back, Paris’ words will remain just that.  Rather, we need to lean forward, to lead a nearly wartime mobilization of efforts to switch to clean energy, to transform our economies away from fossil fuels.  Besides averting planetary-scale disaster for our species, the co-benefits of that transformation will be many, including the creation of great numbers of jobs, major benefits to public health and ecological systems, and greater international stability as we move away from the price volatility and political combustibility of fossil fuels.  Paris may be an historic turning point in that effort.”    Timmons Roberts

“…The best way to … improve civilization’s future prospects is for civil society all over the world - climate justice advocates, community and religious leaders, business and financial executives - to push harder that ever to turn the noble but non-binding aspirations declared in Paris into rapid, concrete transformations of our energy, agriculture, consumerist, and other socioeconomic systems.”  Mark Hertsgaard

My wife prefers the quote from the movie “The Martian”:  we need “to science the shit out of this thing.”  In reality, innovation will be one major part of the solution but we need thousands of interventions at an individual, local, national and international level.  We need silver buckshot, not a silver bullet, to paraphrase Al Gore.

Thanks for any input.

Jim Little