Logic Flow Chart App

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Mon Aug 29 18:13:11 EDT 2016

Hi Bob,

Emboldened by others, I submit my non-answer to your question:

I usually start at my whiteboard with either traditional flowcharting or
Warnier/Orr diagrams, and then go to paper and pencil if I need to drill
down very far. If the decision tree is very complex, I'll sometimes put
together a truth table. Somewhere along the way I start pseudocoding and
prototyping (top-down if possible), which leads to my bad ideas being
shown for what they are, and the good ones coming to the surface (at
least in theory - sometimes the bad ideas are so technically compelling
they make it into the code).

In the past I used OmniGraffle on the Mac but tended to get distracted
by the art of chart creation rather than staying on task.

I find the most important part of the whole process is to correctly
identify the functional goal and the problem that prevents it from
happening. (Of course you have to define "correctly" too.) Without
those, it doesn't much matter what you do. You can use an Etch-a-Sketch.

Phil Davis

On 8/29/16 1:29 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Anyone know of a good logic flow chart editor? I am having difficulty whenever building complex control structures. When I have 3 or 4 conditions that can be true or false, affecting whether or not I even check for conditions further down the line, I get lost pretty quickly. If I could visualize the overall conditional logic apart from the code I execute it would really help me I think.
>
> Bob S

Phil Davis