[ ANN ] Release 8.1.0 RC-1

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Thu Aug 25 12:36:00 EDT 2016

From the release notes:

"On Windows, the default value of the global dontUseQt and dontUseQtEffects properties has changed from true to false. This means that by default players created on Windows will use the DirectShow API for multimedia playback.”

The second sentence seems to contradict the first?

On OSX, QuickTime is unable to be supported in 64 bit builds the default value of the global dontUseQT and dontUseQTEffects properties changed in version 6.7; it is true on OS X version 10.8 and up, or on all versions of OS X if the engine is 64 bit. This means that any player object created will use the AVFoundation API for multimedia playback.

I can’t seem to figure out what the first sentence is saying. :(  I would like to!

Peter Bogdanoff