Searching text external to Livecode

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Thu Aug 18 19:23:50 EDT 2016

>> Livecode’s find command in LC8 is really, REALLY slow when you're doing multiple (thousands) of finds.

>> use-livecode mailing list

I am doing a find char, finding a single character, and putting a space before or after it. It’s a continuous script to find possibly 3 to 4 thousand occurrences of about 6 different characters (that is total finds), looking for upper ASCII diacriticals.

In LC 6.1.3 this took under a minute. In LC 8 it takes 69 minutes.

I’m doing this because the find word command misses words that are preceded or followed by one of these characters. So I’m putting space around them, then removing the space after the finding is done.

This is part of a process to automatically link specified words to a glossary.

Peter