[ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Aug 16 10:12:52 EDT 2016

On 16/08/2016 13:46, Mike Kerner wrote:
> For those of us who haven't used emacs in a couple of decades, what is the
> difference between it and Atom, these days?

(This e-mail discusses running Emacs on Linux.  The last time I checked,
Emacs on Mac OS was a bit flaky.)

- Emacs has _really good_ editing modes for almost every text-based file
format and programming language under the sun.  I've used it for
programming in C, C++, Java, Scheme, ANSI Lisp, Elisp, Bash, Python, R,
JavaScript, Rust, MATLAB/Octave, LiveCode Builder, several variants of
assembly, PostScript, Make, VHDL, Verilog, IDL, LaTeX, M4, Awk, Perl,
and probably some other languages that I've forgotten about.  In
generally, if it's text-based, I can usually open it in Emacs and just
get on with it [1].

- Emacs has a large memory footprint, but Atom uses HUGE amounts of
memory.  The same goes for CPU usage.  On one of my older computers,
Atom is really very sluggish, but Emacs remains nice and responsive.

- Integration with stuff.  Emacs has lots of really nice extensions!  I
can do version control with git, compile programs and analyse the logs,
run a debugger, send e-mail, and even chat on IRC from inside Emacs.

Of course the main reason I use Emacs is that its keybindings and other
features are now programmed into my brain. ;-)

                                 Peter

[1] There are some exceptions, such as gentle, the compiler-specific
language that much of lc-compile is written in.

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode