[OT] Another reason we love LiveCode

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Aug 11 13:27:05 EDT 2016

On 2016-08-11 17:32, Mike Kerner wrote:
> or the difference between ++a and a++
>
> and I didn't know, until yesterday, that "to" and "into" are synonyms.
> freaked out when the syntax checker didn't yell at me for "put 1 to a",
> until I tested it.

There's lots of synonyms lurking around like that - in this case I'd
class it as a bug. Overloading of synonyms for the 'connecting' words
(like of, the, in, into, after, before, with etc.) is generally a bad
idea as it reduces the potentially expressibility of the language in the
future.

Monte recently did some work to indicate the status of script
compilation of objects in the project browser (this should be in 8.1)
which means fixing these small parsing errors (where the parser is
waaaay to lax in terms of what it accepts) will cause less user friction
- you'll be able to see clearly if you have scripts which no longer
compile when loaded into a new version.

(Note, we'd only do this for minor laxness in syntax which is not very
common and generally present as an accident which can mislead in terms
of functionality of the script - we recently made 'repeat' parsing
stricter and at least two people fixed actual bugs in their code as a
result).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps