Clearing local variables

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 29 11:21:56 EDT 2016

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Agreed, but then you need to be careful about what any of your
 > variables contain. :-)

This sort of hints at a question I've been wondering throughout this
thread:  why is this needed?

If you find yourself needing to clear variables of a particular scope,
maybe that's reason to consider a narrower scope.

Wholesale deletion of all variables throughout a script seems likely to
be a problem later on when a handler actually needs a persistent value
in one of them  It's such an unusual thing to do that it's easy to
imagine anyone working in that script a year from now being mystified
when values they're depending on keep disappearing.

I don't understand the perceived need so it's not possible to have a
useful opinion on this case in question, but as a general rule I tend to
prefer to use the narrowest scope that'll get the job done, and if I
need to clear it I'll write out a "put empty into ..." by hand rather
than risk unanticipatable future issues by clearing all vars a script
depends on.

If this is just needed during development the answer is even simpler:
just turn off "Variable Preservation" in prefs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems