DataGrid Optimisation in LC 8.0.0

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Apr 25 10:57:43 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-25 14:41, Terence Heaford wrote:
> I was testing in the IDE of all versions.
>
> After your question I produced a standalone and the scroll speed of
> that data grid is comparable to versions 6 & 7 and took 11 seconds.
>
> I also noticed but did not quantify that there is a visible speed
> difference when loading the data from the SQLite file into the data
> grid.
>
> This also improved when comparing the LC8 IDE with the LC8 standalone.
>
> Why is the performance of stacks in the IDE so poor?

Running something you wish to introspect upon (accurately at least) will
pretty much always be slower than running something you don't wish to
introspect upon as there is a cost to supporting any sort of
introspection. (In this case it is the IDE doing introspection all the
time as objects are created, deleted and manipulated).

(Sort of analogous to a debug vs release build in machine-code compiled
languages - debug builds retain a 1-1 mapping between source and
machine-code which is usually substantially slower but understandable by
a human; release builds seriously mangle this mapping making
introspecting on the running executable with a debugger mostly
un-understandable by a human).

You should also be able to use 'Suspend Development Tools' to get much
the same performance as building a standalone (performance wise). If
not, please file a bug and we'll look into it.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps