arrowKey 'up' and 'down'

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Apr 23 15:31:14 EDT 2016

On 4/23/2016 1:00 PM, RM wrote:
> (pseudocode)
>
> on arrowKey ArKey
>   if ArKey = "right" then
>     move object in some way this line defines
>     send signal to object to initiate animation script within object
>   end if
> end arrowKey
>
> when I hit my right arrow key ONCE the object moves and then animates ONCE.
>
> HOWEVER, if I keep my finger on the right arrow key the movement
> repeats, but the multiple
> instances of the "send signal to object" scriptLine get "saved up" and
> fire at the point I take my finger
> off the arrow key;

The signals are added to a queue but don't get a chance to fire,
presumably because the arrowkey message is happening repeatedly. Queued
messages need some idle time before they'll execute.

This might work better if you add "without waiting" to the move command,
allowing the handler to continue immediately, and then call the
animation handler directly without using "send".

> How can I tell when an end-user ('punter') has stopped pressing an arrowKey?

Try rawKeyUp, but you may not need that if you change the move command.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com