Line 6 of fld "test" works but the target does not

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Apr 23 14:57:58 EDT 2016

On 4/23/2016 12:25 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The omission of "the" for properties has always bugged me,
>

> ????
>
> The Dictionary says
>
> target = keyword
> the target = target() = function
>
> I guess 'target' gets elevated to a 'keyword' because it behaves like 'the
> target' in all cases except where fields are concerned, and this is 'key'
> to it's use: - from the Dictionary
>
> If the target object is not a field, the 'target' keyword reports the name
> of the object, just like 'the target' function.

Yeah, you're right, "target" isn't a property, it only feels like one,
so my gripe about properties isn't relevant here. But it does work on
buttons contrary to what the dictionary says.

Here's an odd thing about my complaint with the omission of "the". For
the last 20+ years I've routinely written "set cursor to...", without
any "the". I don't think twice about it and adding "the" sounds
unnatural and awkward to me. But for all other properties I do use "the"
and my brain does a skip when I read scripts that don't.

My behavior is inconsistent and illogical. Mr. Spock would do that
one-eyebrow thing at me.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com