YAMLtoArray, ArrayToYAML

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 20 17:35:54 EDT 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> On 21 Apr 2016, at 4:37 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Anyone here know of a library that includes something for converting
 >> YAML to LC arrays and back again?
 >
 > I'm not aware of one. I was looking at writing a LCB library to use
 > libYAML a while back for a new take on lcVCS but it has been dropped
 > from the radar for a while. Perfectly feasible to do in LCS or LCB I
 > just need blazing speed for lcVCS.

If speed's your concern use LCS.  There's little in the community right
now implemented in both LCS and LCB, but one one library I could find
done in both shows LCS nearly twice as fast.

That's fine for where LCB is at right now.  Its main value is for
widgets and with libraries it's really great at being able to call
native OS APIs.  For those tasks it's the hands-down winner.

But until it gets an optimization overhaul (and please please please not
before LCS gets one), any lib that can be written in LCS will not only
be faster to write but also faster to run.

Down the road I hope that may change:  with LCB's design it would seem
to lend itself better to true machine compilation, something no
scripting engine could beat.

But until then, I think having LCS as performant as possible is a good
priority.

As for YAML, ArrayToYAML is both easier to write and the one I need
sooner, so I'll probably get to that next week and perhaps drop it on
GitHub under GPLv3 if anyone needs it.  Later on I may get around to
YAMLToArray, but associative arrays are such a slender subset of what
YAML supports it will be limited in what it can handle.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems