Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:56:14 EDT 2016

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 10:30 AM, Mark Smith <Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>
> Thanks Jackie, sorry it took so long to get around to this. I have used
> encrypt extensively, but only in a very narrow/limited way. Here is an
> attempt at providing an example. Please, anyone, jump in and let me know if
> you think it can be improved/changed. I've probably strayed from the usual
> narrow format of an example...
>

> Examples
>
> encrypt myData using cipher with password myPassword
>
> the following takes a file from disk, stores it in a variable, encrypts the
> result,
> then writes the file back to disk.
>
> put URL ("binfile:" & path2input) into myData
> encrypt myData using "aes-256-cbc" with password "@&#12993f"
> put it into URL ("binfile:" & path2output)
>
> It is also possible to write the result back to the
> same file as the input source.
>
> To obtain a list of cipher names type the following into the message box:
> put the cipherNames
>
> Again, I am open to suggestion as to how this could be improved before I
> submit it.

Mark, I think you’re right on track with this “fleshed-out” example. In the document on Contributing to LiveCode Documentation <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/community-docs/docs/contributing_to_docs.md>. They emphasize Completeness, Correctness, and Instructiveness. There is a section in that document on Instructiveness of examples. Your example seems to be in line with that. I always find complete, “cookbook”-style examples more helpful than examples that merely demonstrate the syntax.

My $/£/¥/€ 0.02.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities