LC7 and 8 - Non responsive processing large text files

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 15 13:40:45 EDT 2016

Roland Huettmann wrote:
 > Also to be noted by Bernd, the speed also dramatically increases
 > using an SSD. I am still using old fashioned hard drive (.

SSDs are indeed much faster.  After I put in even an old one in my
laptop, boot times are now under 9 seconds.

But there's no shame in using HDDs - when you need large capacity
there's no beating them on $/GB.

Looks like waiting until later year will pay off - SSDs are expected to
come very close to current HDD prices:
<http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/12/02/consumer-ssds-will-be-almost-as-cheap-as-hdds-by-next-year/>

Even now they're not too bad: HDDs average around $0.06/GB, and I've
seen some SSDs on sale for as low as about $0.17/GB.

And where workflows can take advantage of it, hybrid SSD/HDD 3.5" drives
are very competitively priced.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems